08 March 2013

Snow days

It took long enough, but it finally got here - enough snow to qualify for a "real" snow day.  (Feel free to laugh if you live in the northern/mountain states, but 8 inches is a decent amount of snowfall in 12 hours.)

Jason and the boys got Wednesday and Thursday off this week.  Not that it was really all that bad on Thursday, but the back roads in our county had yet to be plowed and not all the schools in Jason's county had been de-iced.  But, I have decided that two snow days is just about right.  More than that and the novelty wears off and the boys start begging to play on any electronic device they can think of like they are junkies.  And with 60 degree temps right around the corner, this weather totally reminds me of Colorado.  Fantastic.

Of course, we are still getting stink bugs in the house periodically and that brings me right back to the harsh reality that this is not Colorado.  At which point, I cry.

Okay, not really.  But almost.

Anyway, I would love to fill you in on our idyllic days sledding, drinking hot chocolate and warming ourselves around a cozy fire, but then I would be lying.  We did do a lot of shoveling.  I did do a lot of catching up in my classes.  The boys played lots of games and generally ran around the house like the savages that I sometimes am convinced they are.

However, the boys weren't actually interested in playing in the snow.   My mother, if she were dead, would be rolling around in her grave.  As it is, she is very much alive and will probably give me a good talking to this weekend.  But the snow was wet and heavy and I was not about to force them into an activity that would require a ton of clean-up on my end when I was trying desperately to be deeply immersed in blood (Anatomy and Physiology) and emerging adulthood (Developmental Psychology).

In any case, it is all over now.  Everyone who is supposed to be at school on Fridays is at school today.  And Ben and I get our quiet house back.  It was a nice break, but it is also very nice that it is over.

No comments: