09 September 2013

First Day of Preschool

When I gave birth to Ben it was, all things considered, rather easy.  I looked over at the student nurses who were observing and told them they might want to either prepare to catch the baby themselves or go get the doctor.  Not five minutes after the OB arrived, Ben came out.  

The trick has been getting him to separate from me since then.

We are making progress (a big thank you out to everyone who has been so helpful along the way), but it is still a process which makes me crave chocolate (or maybe even something a little bit stronger) in a deep way.   In a deep way that gets deeper with every minute that I refrain from yelling in frustration.  And then there is the dilemma: is he so upset that maybe taking him to Primary/leaving him at the gym kidcare/sending him to preschool just isn't a good idea or does he just need to learn how to deal?  

Jason leans towards the latter as it contributes to my sanity.  

Ben, on the other hand, has started asking to be homeschooled.

Riiiiight.

Last week we went to the Meet and Greet at Ben's wonderful preschool where he had a wonderful time with his wonderful teacher.  See, I even have proof (Bless you, Ty):

So, why was he doing this this morning?  The tears started before 8am (preschool starts at 9:30am) and my need for chocolate started about then as well.

We tried to take first day of school pictures with his brothers.  I even put on Ben's backpack to be funny and let him take pictures to cheer him up.  He did think this was funny for all of two seconds before he started in again asking tearfully if he had to go to school.

I tried bribing with fruit snacks (learned that trick from an expert), but to no avail.  I warned his teacher and she suggested my parking and coming in with him.  When I offered that option to him and promised to stay with him (trying not to commit to a specific length of time), he decided he was okay to go.

Then we got to do our traditional photo shoot.



And once we got in the car, he decided he didn't want to go after all.  At that point I told him that whether or not he wanted to go, I had to go because I hadn't paid yet.  We managed to make it into the building and Ben's morning teacher (the angel Kellie) pulled him out of his grumpy funk and had him happily working at his seat in minutes.  

Since he has been home he hasn't been able to stop talking about how much fun he had at school.  Hopefully he remembers that come Wednesday.

No comments: