We thought it would be a good idea to spend the last day in July doing something really fun.
Just kidding. We didn't realize it was the last day in July. Today just happened to be the only day this week our schedule (ie my new nausea medication) and our friends' schedule and the weather meshed.
And we are so glad it did. I have heard about the Whiteoak Canyon hike from various people over the years that we've lived here, but we've never made it up there. Since I knew there would be water involved, I thought it would be an exciting idea for the boys.
I was wrong. The boys are never excited about a hike before we go. And sometimes there is a fair amount of complaining on the hike. But, usually, they warm up to it during the hike and have positive reviews to give afterwards. Today with the promise of friends, no more than 2 mile long hike and the opportunity to play in the water there was less groaning than normal. And I am pretty sure that they ended up having more fun than normal because it took us 4 hours to do a 2 mile hike because of the multiple breaks for water fun.
And along the way we got to see some wildlife. At one point a bear crossed our path. Jason stopped the boys and the bear stopped to take a look at us as well. Sadly, we didn't get any good pics of him (guessing on the gender - didn't get close enough to check).
We also saw two snakes sunning themselves. Jason conferred with his buddy Google and he's pretty sure this is a Northern Water Snake.
Everyone had a great time and everyone (except Jason the driver) fell asleep on the way home.







No comments:
Post a Comment