About a year ago, we attended our first pinewood derby in this pack. Shortly thereafter I was called to be the cubmaster.
Not going to lie. I didn't see that coming.
It's been quite a learning experience, but I have been surrounded by wonderful and supportive cub leaders who have pretty much made this year a success regardless of what I was able to get done. Thank goodness!
Last night was the first pinewood derby I had a hand in. Luckily, I had the template of the last year and a lot of help, so I think it was a success.
There were some pretty creative cars.
Michael's is the second from the left and he didn't really seem very interested in putting much effort into it. He told Jason that since he's won the last two years, he didn't really need to win this time. And he didn't. Always nice to meet your own expectations.
Our track doesn't have a sensor to indicate who won, so I enlisted the sister missionaries. This may have been the most intense evening of their missions.
The bishop of the other ward has a computer system all set up to run the races, so we got him some tables and let him do his thing.
The whole evening had a chaotic feeling to it. Lots of talking, lots of food, lots of kids. Most of the cubs were excited and paying attention to the races even if their parents and siblings weren't. With the exception of Ben, who was right in the thick of things. He can't wait to join cub scouts.
An incomplete picture of the car table.
In the end, everyone had enough food, the evening was over by 8pm, and everyone seemed happy. For the win!







No comments:
Post a Comment