Our summer vacation started with OPERATION RUN THEM INTO THE GROUND.
The first week is always the most difficult for the boys as they transition from the friend-filled, structured days of public school to the lazy, hazy days of summer. They are bored, they are grumpy, they are desperate need of someone to tell them what to do.
The first week is always the most difficult for me as the house experiences a 300% increase in crazy during the day.
I decided to take a different approach this year. I hoped that if they are physically exhausted then there would be less complaining of being bored.
Heh. Heh.
Monday: Owen Beach. It was low, low tide again so my friend and I looked for beach critters while the boys scaled the sandy cliffs.
Tuesday: Woodard Bay. A little bit shorter jaunt and it was a bit on the cool side.
Wednesday: Sequalitchew. Isaac decided Ben was his buddy for the day. Ben was delighted and then spent a lot of time at the beach looking for crabs to show Isaac.
Thursday: "Mom, please don't make me leave the house today!" I ran a bunch of errands and we spent some time at the church playing basketball in the gym.
Friday: Chambers Bay. A lovely three point something mile path around the golf course and along the water followed by play time at a pretty spectacular playground.
And it worked! No one has complained of being bored, but I have had several requests to just stay home and not go anywhere. We'll have to see what adventures await us next week.















No comments:
Post a Comment