Since even Ben knows the failure rate of New Year's Resolutions, we've decided to take a different approach this year.
Habits.
Semantics? Maybe. But our habits involve setting goals of doing a small task everyday for nine weeks. Then we reevaluate. Maybe continue with the habit. Maybe realize it wasn't really something that helps and pick something else. And they are all activities that are measured in daily completion, not a larger goal that can be considered achieved or failed.
Some of us chose things we should already be doing. Others chose to develop new skills. And others chose a habit that supports current hobbies. One of us reached for the stars and then had to regroup and redefine the first week. I'll let you figure out who did what.
Isaac: Brush teeth 2x a day. So, this is really habit 2.0 for mom and dad, but it needs to get done. For most of his life, brushing his teeth has been a three person operation: one person to squirm and wiggle like an octopus on crack, one of us to hold him down, and one to attempt to touch each tooth at least one time with the toothbrush. Needless to say, we figured once a day was a win. (As did the dentist, by the way.) Isaac has mellowed a little bit, so I figured it was time for us to up our game.
Ben: Jump on the trampoline (big or little, depending on weather) for 10 minutes a day. This habit is designed to keep Ben from passing out after his first soccer practice in March. Ok, that is a bit of an exaggeration. But it is difficult to keep in shape during the winter here and he'll get more out of the soccer season if he does cardio to prep. This habit has been adapted a little since we joined the YMCA - any time at the Y meets the requirement. It also has the benefit of being hilarious since he isn't *quite* big enough to get on the ellipticals, but he doesn't let that stop him.
Michael: Spend time sketching. No time limit, but definitely a new skill. I was a little surprised that he picked this one as I assumed he'd want to do something active or related to music, but he really seems to enjoy it and likes to come show us. Michael has a slightly twisted sense of humor, so some of his drawings are pretty funny.
Josh: Write in journal. I think this might be related to his seminary class. Maybe? I know at one point he asked for a journal, but I didn't ask why. Apparently he has been writing in it intermittently, but wanted to make it a daily habit. In his case, he does not share it with us. Shocking, right?
Jason: Exercise every morning at 5am after making sure Josh gets out of bed for seminary. Sooooo, this habit was probably (um, definitely) the most ambitious. After a little revamping, his new habit is to exercise every day.
Irene: Read to Isaac everyday. I saved mine for last, because a fair number of people reading this are going to be absolutely horrified by the idea that I haven't been doing this. No need to email me articles about the benefits of reading daily to your children; I've read them. No need to remind me that children are made readers on the laps of their parents; I've seen the memes. But what those studies and well-meaning experts have not experienced is reading with Isaac. For quite a while, reading with Isaac was a battle for world supremacy. There was the battle of which book, the battle of who holds it, the battle of which page, the battle of who "reads", the battle of throwing the book, the battle of whatever the heck was bugging him at the moment. Basically, any attempts on my part to read with him ended with me sitting in somewhat close proximity while he picked up, opened, threw, tore, and stepped on books. (and no, I am not talking about when he was a baby) Frankly, he didn't need me around to do any of those things. Again, he's mellowed a bit and it's all working much better.
No comments:
Post a Comment