This is a child who, after FIFTEEN YEARS of having birthdays, is pretending to be surprised that is mother is frustrated that he blew out the candles when she and her camera were not ready.
Luckily for posterity, that picture was taken before his actual birthday and at his family birthday party we had the weekend before. While we enjoyed spending time with everyone, it was truly a dry run for the the big day.
As per tradition, the big day started with balloons. I learned later that he hadn't counted them which sort of defeats the time I spent the night before blowing them up in my closet in secret. So maybe not 16 balloons next year - just a bunch of them. This was not my best work. I heard his alarm clock going off while I was taping them to the wall and panicked. But the effect was the same.
Ben lucked out and his birthday was a half-day for the public schools. He had soccer practice and then the rest of the day was his to take a nap and talk to family on the phone. Josh popped on by to give him the one, true sword....I mean, the master sword from the Legend of Zelda.
After a burrito bowl from Chipotle, Ben finished off his birthday dinner posing nicely with an ice cream sandwich so I could get my picture. (Note: the ratio of candles to years is 1:15)
It's been a year of new experiences, challenging himself, denying that he has curly hair, and frustration at how easy trigonometry is. We're excited to see what this next year brings.




No comments:
Post a Comment