On Monday, we will walk our firstborn down to the gazebo at the end of our street and watch him climb onto the school bus for the first time. This feels like it should be momentous. Which means it will probably be anticlimactic. But it is a great milestone. Hopefully, we have survived, loved, taught, raised and cared for a human being who is ready to enter a public setting...by himself. It was hit or miss that first year when I kept a countdown of how many years and months until he would go away to college, but it has been getting steadily better since. I remember a sweet old lady at church one time telling me when Josh was a mere colicky babe, that those were the best years of my life. I almost started to hyperventile and drop to the floor and curl up into a little ball right on the spot. Fortunately, she was just plain wrong, because Josh now is a million times easier to live with than Josh then. (In the meantime, Ben is just the easiest ever, but this post is not about him.)
Last Thursday Josh and I went down to his new school to meet his teacher and teacher's assistant. If you ask him, his teachers are Miss Rice and Miss Breakfast (Byvik). Being quite shy of new people, he kept his head down and didn't speak very much. But after we left the room, he decided he wanted to go back and take a closer look. There are 14 students in his class, one of which he already knows from church. The class theme is puppies. His teachers are both lovely women and I was impressed with both of them. The teaching assistant showed Josh the reading nook and I had to make myself comfortable because he just settled in for a good review of all the books.
I really hope that Josh likes school. If not, we have a rough 13 years ahead of us.
1 comment:
Maybe you'll be lucky and he'll drop out early. Then you'll only have like 10 or eleven rough years ahead of you...
Post a Comment