12 January 2010

Monday, Monday

Why are Mondays so hard? This particular Monday went out in a blaze of glory. I am exhausted.

It started with the food. Food is always an issue in our house. Between Josh's allergies and finickiness (which are related, according to our allergist), we have a limited menu for him to eat. The allergist told us not to fight him to get him to eat new foods, but I have no problem doing the meal showdown over foods he has already proven he can and will eat. Periodically, he tries to cut at food out of his repertoire and I nip that behavior in the bud pretty quickly. We cannot go back to a 3 food diet.

Our other issue is that as far as any given food goes, he is very particular about it being a specific recipe or brand. For instance, pancakes - Bisquick is best, homemade with white flour and white sugar is good, homemade with white flour and brown sugar is okay, homemade with wheat flour and any sugar is bad and Aunt Jemima is unacceptable. Seriously. I kid you not. And the child can tell before he even tastes the pancake.

It had to do with the rule. The rule for our kids is that they have to finish the food in a meal before they can eat the next meal or any other food.

Breakfast yesterday was oatmeal. Half the packet variety they like and half instant oatmeal because that is all we had left. Josh has eaten both in the past, but he was bound and determined that he was not going to eat this oatmeal. Michael followed suit. I had two extraordinarily grumpy children yesterday. We had homeschool and had a friend come over in the afternoon to do our science lesson with us and that entire time my kids hadn't eaten.

How it all came out in the end:

Michael - just before 5 pm, Michael finished his oatmeal. He then asked for (and got) 3 slices of cheese, half a mini loaf of pumpkin bread, a yogurt and macaroni and cheese.

And then he threw up.

Yea.

Josh - sometime after 6 pm, he finally finished his oatmeal. This meant it took him almost 10 hours. TEN. HOURS. And it wasn't pretty getting to that point. Tantrums, crying, begging and finally hitting me (that did not go well for him) - he spent a looooong time in his bedroom waiting for Daddy to come home, because Mommy was done. But, he ate it and woke up this morning starving and promising to eat 10 pancakes (yes, of the white wheat and white sugar variety - I can only do that fight one day at a time).

So, now it is Tuesday and I am ready for it to be Saturday any minute now.

1 comment:

Tami said...

Oh Irene, I am SO sorry. I can honestly say that I feel your pain. We've talked about it before, but Kyle is SUPER finicky too. There are nights that he goes to bed on an empty stomach because he simply refused to eat the dinner I prepared. I simply refuse to make him something different.