02 May 2011

Let's Play Ball! (finally)

Thanks to one of the wettest Virginia springs that I can recall (all 7 of them), t-ball opening day was rescheduled and games started this last Saturday.  

Finally.  

The suspense has been killing me.

Here are the boys in their uniforms (which I made mistake of calling "costumes" once to Jason's great disgust).  Michael is on the Cardinals and Josh the Astros.
The nice thing about opening day is that the games were at the same field.

The bad thing about opening day is that the games were at the same field.

Nice because we could all be there and only had to drive to one location.  Bad because the games were not at the same time, so we had to keep Ben occupied through two games for a whopping total of FOUR hours.  Luckily, food was served and a bouncy house was inflated.  In the future, one of us (=me) will take Ben and the other person (=Jason, the unexpected assistant coach) will not. 

Yep, Jason is an assistant coach for Josh's team.  Josh is so excited.  From what I hear, Josh volunteered Jason for the job.  Josh is even more excited that he is number 11 and Jason is number 12.  

Jason, on the other hand, is horribly burned on the back of his neck.  I think he'll be a bit more excited once the pain subsides.

I am sure the initial glamor will wane as the season progresses and temperatures climb, but I thought t-ball was great.  The games are 3 innings long; a perfect length for parents.  Every kid gets to bat and run the bases.  There are no outs.  The coaches cycle the kids through different positions on the field making sure that  each kid gets a mix of boring and exciting positions (Michael was catcher and that may be the highlight of the year, if not his life).  An hour and a half later respectively, the boys finished their games feeling successful and excited. 



A great start to the season!

No comments: