Eight years ago today, Jason and I were married in the Denver Temple. Most of that day is a blur, but then again with three boys the better part of the last eight years have been a blur as well.
When I was in Young Women's (our church's youth group for girls ages 12-18), we were often asked to make a list of qualities we wanted in our future husband. I know people who have those lists and bring them out and get teary-eyed comparing their husbands to that list. I always thought making that list was kind of lame. I didn't really see any point at that time when I wasn't interested in getting married and got back to my homework. But, as I got older and started dating, I did actually make a list, half in jest and half serious, of what I was looking for in a spouse:
1. No curly hair - Both my parents have curly hair so none of their children had a chance of escaping a curly fate.
2. Last name in the first half of the alphabet - I've never been very attached to my maiden name (sorry, Dad!), but I was tired of being at the end of the list. Please note that Jason just barely made the cut on that one.
3. Honors priesthood - Okay, so if you are LDS then this one goes almost without saying.
4. Less of a girl than me - I added this one after dating a few guys who had so much more emotional drama going on than I did. I don't think that I am super high maintenance in the drama department and didn't really want to deal with someone more emotional than me.
It was a pretty short list that I tried to keep to the basics. The first time I saw Jason he was giving a talk about his trip to Morocco and the second time he had chocolate, so I guess it was only a matter of time before we got married after I found out he met all my other qualifications.
As I like to tell Jason, I thought he was pretty incredible when I married him and like wine (which we don't drink actually) he gets better with age. Eight down and forever to go.

No comments:
Post a Comment