14 June 2015

Other degrees

We recently paid off my student loans.  It was a time of rejoicing and reflection.  I received my Bachelor's in Anthropology back in...well, let's just say it wasn't this decade, but it was this century.  In any case, while I enjoyed getting my education, the jury is still out on how useful it has been or will be.  I took a lot of interesting classes and gained a lot of trivia knowledge.  However, I have spent the last 11 years (oh my gosh, has it really been that long?) being a stay-at-home person and during that time have thought that there are other degrees that might have proven more applicable to my daily life.

Some examples:

  • Early Childhood Development: Let's start off with the obvious, shall we?  We have no idea what we are doing.  And poor Josh, with every new stage he goes through, Jason and I just look at each other and say, "Um, is that normal?"  When Michael does it we think, "Okay that IS normal." And by the time Ben does it we hardly notice.  It would save us a lot of grief and Josh a lot of future therapy sessions if we knew what to expect. 
  • Music: Aside from the obvious benefits in math skills (or so I've heard), if I had any clue about music (and by "clue" I mean ability to read the notes on those line thingys), I would have a more sophisticated response than a blank stare to give to the piano teacher when she explains the boys' homework.  Also, might not have to rely on Bugs Bunny cartoons to expose my children to Wagner.  (Note: my grandparents are rolling in their graves on that last one.)  Also, might know who Wagner is.
  • Nursing: Also a bit obvious.  Can't go wrong with solid medical knowledge.  At this point, I don't take the kids to the pediatrician unless there is some risk of them actually dying, because I am so tired of the slightly condescending smile followed by "It's just a virus.  Go home and drink lots of fluids. Thanks for the $20."  Okay, maybe not that last sentence, but you know what I mean.
  • Veterinary Science: Somewhat related to nursing.  I love my boys, but some days they remind me more of howler monkeys or feral cats than human children.  It might be nice to have some idea what to do with them on those days.
  • Theology:  There are deep questions about the nature of God and universe that I did not know existed until I had children.  And we are talking DEEP.  Deep, deep questions.  Maybe if I had more training in this field, I would be better equipped to answer such questions as, "Can Jesus jump over buildings?"  (I...guess...so.  I suppose anyone who has the power to move mountains could move his body up and over a skyscraper.  Here, have a cookie.  Let's go to the park.)
  • Computer Science:  At some point in the very near future, I am going to live with a bunch of people who know more about electronics than me (it's the natural cycle of life).  But these people's brains won't be fully developed yet and so they will be prone to making stupid decisions.  Stupid decisions + the internet = (possibly) bad, bad things.  I have no intention of isolating them from the web, but it would probably be a good idea if I could give them some guidance about using their various devices.
  • Recreation Management: Or event planning.  Or social coordinatoring.  Whatever.  Planning and organizing trips, activities, educational excursions, play dates has been a learning process.  It often feels like the logistics of getting us all out the door and on a day trip is a feat comparable to Hannibal crossing the Alps.  I am sure there is an easier way, I just don't know what that is.

No comments: