04 April 2017

Fort Worden

Yesterday we were on a mission to cross something off of our Washington State Bucket List.  Our initial plans were to visit the Ape Caves, but a report of 1-2 feet of snow on the mile hike from the parking lot was a deal-breaker.  We'll try again later.

On to Plan B: Fort Worden.  This was a recommendation from more than one person.  And one of those people was kind enough to recommend bringing flashlights.  That would be crucial later. 

We had a lovely drive up 101.  It ended up being a 2 hour drive, so according to the Miller Rule of Travel, we had to spend at least 4 hours there.  That, it turns out, was not problem.  

I have absolutely no idea why Fort Worden was built (missed out on Washington State history in school - who were we fighting up that way?).  All I know is that my kids and their friends had a BLAST running around on top of and inside the dark bowels of the concrete bunkers.  We had to almost physically drag them away to check out the beach and lighthouse.  Yes, Fort Worden has it all.  
Below are the best of the 150+ pictures I took (I have a problem).  We had a wonderful day and three out of the four boys conked out in the car on the way home.
















No comments: