Monday
With cloudy weather back on the agenda and no YMCA available, we have to get a little bit creative with our exercise for the littlest minion. I searched for zumba kid videos and found a few that he likes. I think he may be destined to be as uncoordinated as I am at dancing, but he enjoys it and I love watching him.
Practicing instruments has become a bit of a chore for Michael, sadly. We're into our third week with no band choirs, band classes, and new band music. Luckily, Ben has been taking private cello lessons a couple times a month so he is getting more guidance and continue to make progress.
If nothing else, I am increasingly sure that I would never been a good kindergarten teacher. How do they do it? About every 5 minutes he is bored out of his mind with whatever I come up with for him to do.
Every five minutes.
But he isn't the only one who is struggling these days. I pulled the boys off of their computer school work for an art project. They don't take art in school, but I didn't let that stop me.
A day when Washington messed with my head and I got soaked. I decided to ignore the fact that 20% chance of rain in Washington means 100%.
D'oh!
Don't tell anyone, but we went for a bike ride and the older three boys got off the trail and went to Nana's house to play Dungeons and Dragons. (I know, I know) Isaac and I kept going a bit further on the trail. It was partly sunny when we left the house. I turned around when the sky was cloudy but not rainy. Then it started to mist. And then when I passed the turn off for Rachel's house it started HAILING.
FOR THE LOVE, WASHINGTON!
Sure, I figured at some point I would get caught in the rain on a bike. Didn't see the whole hail thing.
Luckily, Isaac stayed warm and (mostly) dry in the trailer. Meanwhile, my pants were completely soaked and started leaching the heat from my body and the hail melted in my helmet and started leaking down my face.
Fun times.
Then as I got a half a mile from the house, the heavens cleared up and the bright sun shone down on us. Perfect biking weather! Except for that icy cold feeling on my skin. So we skedaddled home so I could change my clothes and climb under a blanket.
Because I am a caring mother who doesn't want her children to suffer like she did, I drove over to pick up the boys later that afternoon so they wouldn't also get caught in capricious weather. After they got home, Ben got on the computer to play chess over video chat with his friend. I am always impressed when the boys remember to call the pieces by their actual names and not their Simpsons character names. I would definitely be taking your Maggie with my Krusty if I was playing.
After dinner, Jason and his little helper started a project that Jason has been looking forward to for a while.
Wednesday
Yep, it's the end of an era. This is a desk that deserves a serious face.
I spent the morning...in line. Apparently this is now bizarro world because I stood in line for 20 minutes to get into Costco, but did not have to stand in any lines to get out of Costco. Still no toilet paper and definitely no free samples, but otherwise an easy trip. Then I stood in line again this time to get into Trader Joe's and no lines to get out.
Side note: If the stores are trying to help people get out quickly to limit the number of people in the store at one time, they need to STOP changing the location of items in the store. I'm looking at you TJ's! I never did find the GF Joe-Joe's today.
Everyone was going stir crazy and the weather was more accommodating so the boys (even the ones not seen here) spent some of the afternoon on the trampoline.
When the playing devolved into bickering and screaming (Isaac), I tried to interest them in a fun art project I saw on FB. Even with no Wi-Fi, I couldn't convince the older two, but Ben was a good sport and ended up enjoying it.
The colors are a little washed out by the sun in this picture, but I think the final product looked pretty cool.
Biking in the hail became my thing this week. There was a short window of time that I could get out on my bike and it just happened to coincide with hail. I, however, wasn't aware of that until we (Ben, Michael, Isaac, and I) were being pelted about 3.5 miles from the house. Fun times! The boys may have trust issues with me in the future when I want to take them biking.
The window was short because I was scheduled to go to the food bank in the afternoon. I brought Josh with me for his muscles and his borderline sullen attitude. He brought his headphones and worked the whole time, but I don't think it was his ideal way to spend an afternoon.
Friday
I decided to take a break from school for the day and loosen the Wii restrictions. The boys got to sleep in and play our active Wii games. It backfired a bit and we ended up with grumpy kids - the opposite of what I was hoping for. Lesson learned.
Saturday
The weather has been shockingly cooperative for our Saturday morning walks. All three of us decided to represent with our Hot Chocolate jackets.
Because I must hate myself, I decided to try my hand at making masks. Don't believe what the tutorials tell you. It takes MUCH longer than 10 minutes to take one of these suckers. Reason enough to stay home in my book.
My foray into fabric and frustration occupied half the table so the boys had a picnic on the floor.
And we wrapped up another week.













No comments:
Post a Comment