30 June 2020

June on Facebook

In the last few weeks I've made chocolate chip zucchini bread, turnip gratin, and carrot cake bread. I may be the first person in history to gain weight from getting a farm share (weekly box of vegetables from local farm)!

Fill in the blank:
Parenting is _____________.
I'll start

Miscommunication after almost 17 years of marriage:
I thought we were growing zucchini so Jason could pan fry it.
He thought we were growing zucchini so I could make (him) chocolate chip zucchini bread.

It's the season for driving alternate routes to avoid construction zones I know about only to find new construction zones I didn't know about.

Forevermore the passenger side seat on the back bench of the minivan will be the "root beer seat ".
So let it be written, cuz it's already been done.

Nighttime Irene is always overly optimistic about what Morning Irene can get up and do.

Watching the Amazon trailer for Dante's Peak.....
Ben: Is this a documentary?
Me: ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†ðŸ˜†

It's birthday week at our house for our two boys whose birthdays are 8 days apart. In my mom's family there is a tradition of singing what I've always thought of as the Birthday Dirge with lyrics including "misery is in the air, people dying everywhere, but happy birthday". It was always funny in a dark, twisted sort of way. But this year between the ever increasing number of covid-19 deaths and as our country grapples with its legacy and current realities of racism, I can't bring myself to sing those words when they mirror so closely current events. At the same time, the birthday song that declares "happy things will come to you all year" also doesn't seem appropriate.
But still a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to these amazing young men whose abilities continue to amaze us, whose passions inspire us, and whose skills at arguing with each other increase with each passing year. (Just keeping it real ðŸ˜†) May they become men who see and serve those around them.
And maybe some day they will let their mom kiss them on their cheek and not wipe it off right away.

As Ben, his cello, and I got into the car last night to physically go to cello lessons for the first time in over 2 months, I realized that we are totally out of practice at getting to places on time.

No comments: