So, after grousing to Jason a bit, we decided that we should write our own book. I think this is what our table of contents might look like:
Breastfeeding Sucks; a book for the rest of us
1: Intro: The baby is going to do what? where?
2: If labor wasn't painful for you (epidural notwithstanding), then neither will breastfeeding (and no, they won't give you an epidural to help you breastfeed).
3: Attached at the hip, and other more embarrassing places.
4: If she feels like a cow and makes milk like a cow, give her chocolate to make her feel better.
5: Things that crawl across the floor in the night and other sleep-deprivation hallucinations.
6: For larger chested women: A fortress of pillows may be your only hope.
7: For your husband: If you want my body and you think I'm sexy, get a number and stand in line because that is how we got all these kids in the first place.
8: Mythbusters:
Breastfeeding is NOT a free pass to fit into those jeans you wore in college.
You can breastfeed and still be sad.
Some geniuses were fed formula.
9: Breastfeeding will be difficult and painful, so if you choose to do it you will have to just suck it up.
Clearly, I am a little bitter about this whole thing. And I may be even more so this afternoon when I try on the dress I plan to wear to my cousin's wedding tomorrow. But much of my frustration is born of false expectations. If so many people, books and web pages hadn't constantly been touting the benefits of breastfeeding (which only happen for a few people and in reality not for many that I know), and just told me, "breastfeeding will be difficult and painful, just suck it up," I might have felt less betrayed by the entire experience. After 4 1/2 months, I haven't lost a single pound from breastfeeding. Ben is still covered in eczema like Josh was/is. I still had to go on antidepressants for PPD. And, because of my dimensions, there is no real way to do this in public discretely.
I am, however, just utterly amazed that we have made it this far and if I ever write a book (not really going to happen), I would have a whole page of people to thank for their support (no matter what my decision is) and love. So, we'll keep trucking and stick to it until I decide to quit.
6 comments:
you are hilarious irene! i shouldn't complain because i've had it pretty easy, but it is still hard and almost more painful than a natural labor!
I would buy 20 copies of this book if it existed and give them out as wedding gifts. Love the list!
love love love this! you had me at the title :-)
Amen!! I love your book idea! I too hate, hate, hate breast feeding and only could make it about two weeks with both kids. "If is hurts it means your doing it wrong!" Grrr!!!
I agree the one you checked out is, in my words, a Horrible book. However, I have nursed both my boys and the second was BY FAR easier, and both were easier as time went by (though hard to see unless you look back on it.) I'll send an email with more details, but for the short version. I DO recommend this book, http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=2ysSlIzgnSwC&dq=the+nursing+mother%27s+companion+huggins&printsec=frontcover&source=web&ots=L5H6XLuKgU&sig=IoU6ovNCau1I9tyZMKOi7AuXO1U&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#v=onepage&q=&f=false, frozen cabbage leaves (to decrease milk supply when you need to wean a meal, but it may work too well so be careful), and cod liver oil (for you and the baby for multiple things but near immediate improvement for the PPD, which is when I learned about it.)
When is the book coming??? Love it!!!
Post a Comment