19 August 2010

Middle Eastern Food

I hosted the Desserts and More Club at my house tonight. The host gets to pick to the theme and I chose Middle Eastern food. Let's just say, I chose wisely. It was so, so, so yummy. These were my contributions:

Boereks: My first time with phyllo dough.
Since the Turks claim credit for phyllo dough, I figured I would make these little cheese and herb filled pastries. It was my first experience with this extremely thin and delicate pastry. The outcome was tasty, but this is definitely not an everyday food. I think I spent at least an hour buttering, filling and folding 50+ of them.

Orange-Butt Chicken, aka Chicken stuffed with orange
My brother christened this recipe with the first name. My brother just has a way with words. Looks good, huh? I was especially pleased with my presentation on couscous with chopped oranges and onions.
Well, let's take a look at why Doug calls it Orange-Butt Chicken. Basically, after you rub the chicken in lemon juice and sprinkle it with spices, you shove an orange up its butt.
And then take it out when it's cooked.
In an act of protest, perhaps about the orange, the chicken refused to be cooked after 1 hour 15 minutes. So my beautiful platter sat on the table uneaten and I think we are going to have Orange-Butt (I mean, Bum) chicken for dinner tomorrow instead.

No comments: