I was at the table eating with the kids. I looked down. I saw a roll. I thought, "Hey, this doesn't have any gluten in it." I took a bite. Then I realized, "HEY! This DOES have gluten in it!" I ran to the sink and spit it out. I tried to scrape all the crumbs out of my mouth and tried my hardest not to swallow.
Then I woke up. Panicked. And a little disappointed that the roll in my dream was so dry. What a waste.
Don't feel too bad for me. I found a GF baking mix that makes pretty good pancakes and cornbread. I am excited to try other recipes with it. Unfortunately, it has dairy in it so Josh and Ben can't have it. And worse still, we discovered that Jason is allergic to it as well. That is a bit of a mystery. There is no perfect food for all of us, apparently. It does pose a problem in the bread department though. I am beginning to envy Jack Sprat and his wife - at least they could eat different parts of the same meal. If I bake with this mix, Jason doesn't get to eat. If I bake with flour, I don't get to eat.
Jason has been pretty good about this GF diet. He doesn't necessarily adhere to it closely (unless there are GF chocolate chip peanut butter cookies around - then he is very devoted to this diet), but he is very supportive and tries to avoid gluten around me. This has meant a big change in our dinner planning and there are far fewer baked goodies being made. He did, however, tell me that he had a dream that he went to school and there was a table of baked goodies made with gluten: cakes, breads, brownies etc. So, I took pity on him and made him these.
I hope he enjoys them because next time I will make chocolate chip pumpkin bread with the mix and then he can watch me eat it.
1 comment:
okay, the food situation/allergies at your house is sad. you are going to be a pro at making five hundred different things for dinner.
Post a Comment