21 May 2018

Capital City Half

I decided to take some pictures of fun stuff along the half marathon yesterday.  Something to pass the time in between making phone calls to my mom and sister, texting my location to Jason (the stalker app didn't work as well as we'd hoped), listening to music, having the volunteers tell me I was almost there (lies) and it was all "downhill from here" (more lies), and cheering on the marathoners (those people may be certifiably crazy).

Before:

"God Bless the Runners"  They forgot about the walkers....

My street!

My cheering squad.  I was tempted to ask them for a ride to the finish line.

"Pain is temporary. Race results are on the internet FOREVER."  Truth.

My friends who hung out with me for a bit about mile 11.  I did ask to borrow her bike. She laughed.  I am pretty sure that meant, "no".

This race came with FREE professional photos.  I like to think of this one as my Mona Lisa photo - can you read that expression?  Am I laughing or crying?  I'll never tell.

Limping to the finish!  This time it was my left hip and right knee.  But no potty dance this year!  I think my recovery should be quicker.

Hooray!  I had some moments when I didn't think I was going to finish this one.  I had some moments when I cursed the city of Olympia for being to $#&@ hilly.  I had moments when I realized that I shouldn't have laughed at the email that told me I should wear sun block.  But mostly I walked in a beautiful city with gorgeous weather and got a pretty sweet medal at the end. Oh, and a whiff of pot every now and then!

Notes for next time:
1. Train or do a shorter race (seriously)
2. Doing a race with a friend/family member is LOTS more fun
3. Find a different stalker tracking app
4. No races the same day that Jason leaves to go out of town...ever again
5. Take an NSAID before the race


2018
Stats:
Overall: 987 out of 1,002
Women: 603 out of 616
F 35-39: 103 out of 103
Finish: 4:07:02
Pace: 18:52

2017
Stats:
Overall: 1492 out of 1495
Women: 945 out of 948
F 35-39: 123 out of 123
Finish: 4:36:32
Pace: 21:06

No comments: