26 September 2010

Meemaw

Yesterday, my Meemaw died after having suffered a stroke on Thursday morning.

Since her stroke was on Thursday, I had some time to prepare. I felt quite like the White Queen in Alice in Wonderland and got my crying out before she died. Somehow, thinking that she might be suffering in her last days was worse than knowing that she has returned to our Heavenly Father once she died. Now my sorrow is for the living - for those she left behind who must cope with her absence. For Grandpa. For her sons and their wives. For all of us grandchildren.

In any case, I have spent some time in the last few days thinking over my memories of her and thought I would write some down.

--One of my memories of Meemaw is grocery shopping with her in Houston and how she used to clip coupons and shopped the sales. At the time, it seemed like quite a hassle and I find it funny that I do the same thing now.
--I remember the sweet look on her face when my Dad would tease her. My Dad knew just how to tease and compliment her at the same time and it always delighted her.
--She always encouraged me to write. When I sent her letters from camp, she kept them for me so I could have a record of my experiences. A little over a month ago, she called to thank me for the weekly e-mail updates I was sending them of my little family and encouraged me to keep them also as a record of our experiences.
--One of my treasured belongings is the photo album she made for my 14th birthday of pictures of me since birth.
--Not really a memory, but with our three boys I am more and more impressed with her having raised four boys. That takes some stamina. And to have raised four good men is an even bigger accomplishment.
--I remember helping her clean her room. She showed me the dolls she had since her childhood. She showed me the jewelry Grandpa had given her and how pleased she was with his taste and thoughtfulness. She showed me the broach made of the Eagle Scout pins of her four sons of which she was so proud.

Of course, there are many, many more but my littlest boy is begging for some snuggles and these kind of reminiscences make me want to hug my boys tight and enjoy the time (hopefully long) that we have.

No comments: