04 September 2010

Thanks, Earl!

I am sure that Tropical Storm Earl caused some people a great deal of difficulty and damage, but I owe him a great big THANK YOU for the marvelous weather we had as he headed up north. Today was gorgeous. Today was the kind of day that restores my faith that Virginia is habitable by humans.

Naturally, we had to enjoy this day with some sort of outdoorsy activity. So, I took the boys on a hike. We don't do that very often. It is just too gross here. But today was different, so I took them to a local state forest and we trekked. We didn't trek very far because I was flying solo on this activity and had absolutely no intention of carrying more than one child back to the car. Ben mostly rode/screamed his head off in the carrier and the older boys walked under their own power the entire time. I guess that makes this a 66% successful endeavor. Ben hasn't been in the carrier for so long though, I think that he needs to get used to it again. In any case, no one was injured and that always makes me happy.



The other reason why we don't hike in Virginia very often is that I am terrified of two things commonly found here: TICKS and POISON IVY. The ticks are tiny here and some of them carry lyme disease. Ugh. And, despite my research on the internet and help from Virginia natives, I cannot for the life of me identify poison ivy among all the other leafy (3 or otherwise) green plants that grow everywhere. Ack. So far as I know, we haven't had a run in with either of these things, but I am sure it is only a matter of time.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I hope you are truly tick free. I have a serious case of paranoia these days.
And I am also so grateful to Earl for the fabulous weather. There is a light at the end of the hot, horrible, humid weather tunnel!