Over Oktoberfest weekend, my mom visited my sister in Germany and they hopped on a plane to Florence (tough life, I know) for the weekend. Nice. Except, neither of them had a camera. Not so nice. So, they bought a disposable. Really not so nice. I am a digital camera elitist. Not that I have the best camera around (although I am very happy with what we have), but because I just look down my nose at 35mm cameras - WHO USES THOSE ANYMORE??? Nonetheless, it is difficult to take a bad picture in Italy, so there were quite a few good shots out of the 27. My mom really knows how to vacation in beautiful areas - both Italy and Greece (her trip last year) are perfect for point and shoot photographers because you almost always end up with a great shot. Some of her pictures from Greece could have been postcards they were so good.
I do have to say that I am proud of my mom. This is the same woman who did not fly on an airplane for about 23 years due to an utter terror of flying. All growing up, we took trains across the country. One time our train even hit a car (really, don't race trains - it is very unhappy if you lose), but that still didn't seem to dissuade her from taking the looooong way to travel. In any case, her mantra now when she flies is "The pilot doesn't want to die either." (As a side note, when I was telling my SAT students about this one time, one girl cried out, "Some of them do!! Oh! But, don't tell your mother that!!!" I would be fascinated to know what airlines she flies on.)

1 comment:
"QANTAS. QANTAS never crashed." (Raymond in Rain Man)
Post a Comment