16 June 2010

While The Moms Are Away

I came up with several names for this post based on this photograph. "Best Buds" and "Partners in Crime" were top contenders. All I know is that neither my friend nor I made it to church on Sunday. She was legitimately sick. I was just sick and tired of Ben's meltdowns and absolutely sure that if I had to deal with them at church for three hours then I was going to have a meltdown in public.

I would be that mom.

And it wouldn't be pretty.

I try not to do that in a place and at a time when others are trying to have spiritual experiences. Mainly because me having a meltdown isn't a spiritual experience. For anyone. Within a 500 foot radius.

So, while I was at home watching the Simpsons (shh, don't tell Jason) and my friend was at home recovering from her legitimate illness, our older children and respective husbands were at church.

In the hallway.

I know this because my friend's husband sent me this darling photo of the boys messing around.

I would like to pretend that this sort of thing never happens when I am there, but that would be a bald lie. Honestly, church feels like a marathon session of keeping us all sane and relatively reverent for 3 hours a week. It's exhausting and we often come dragging across the finish line on our knees dragging the whiny kids behind us. I haven't sat through any part of church in its entirety since well before Ben was born. I would like to be more specific, but my memory has been pretty much shot since Josh was born. So, I try to accept that God loves me and takes what I can give for now and try to let it go and giggle. These boys are awfully cute.

No comments: