24 October 2010

GF: Day 1

I am in the first day of an experiment. A gluten-free experiment. I have been toying around with the idea of trying a GF diet for a while and a book a friend sent me recently sealed the deal. Here is the plan: Avoid gluten for two weeks and then eat a lot of it and see what happens. And, since there is no time like the present, I started today. Actually, the logistics were a little tricky - with holidays and family parties over the next few months, I didn't have a lot of good options time wise that wouldn't be problematic or overly tempting. Halloween is in a week, but of all the holidays where I should avoid the associated food, this would be it.

Plus, my birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks and I will have my cake and eat it, too. It might be the day I find out if it is going to make me sick or not, but I will have my cake.

Anyway, back to the present. Today is day one. At about 11am I was pretty sure this is the worse idea on the planet. I love wheat. I crave wheat. There are so many, many wonderful things made with wheat. And many of them are in my house And I have recipes for lots of them. Good recipes. ::sigh::

At lunch, while I was eating rice and Jason ate Great Harvest Bread Apple Scrapple, chicken nuggets and sweet potato pie, Jason asked if I was planning on staying GF if I felt better. Strangely, I can't commit to that right now. Would that be the logical and smart thing to do? Absolutely. But I think we will have to cross that bridge when we get there. Mainly because what will the rest of the family do? At first, Jason very considerately declared that if it was best for me then the whole family would do it. I asked him if he was willing to have Josh give up chicken nuggets, pancakes and pasta. Then I asked him if he was willing to give up crackers and cereal as snacks for the kids. Yes, there are GF options for those, but they might very well bankrupt us. He was suddenly less certain. Would it be possible, yes. Would it be painful, absolutely. However, those are all theoretical questions and this is just my personal experiment so we will just have to see.

On the other hand, I don't know if I can stick to a GF diet by myself with all the temptations in the house. I made chocolate chip pancakes for breakfast for Jason and Michael and the leftovers on the table were calling to me. The Apple Scrapple bread on the counter is in my thoughts constantly. I have to make cookies for Michael's class this week and I know it will take a great deal of willpower not to taste the dough. I can handle two weeks, I don't know if I have that much control in the long run.

Wish me luck and whatever you do, if you love me, don't bring me cookies right now.

No comments: