12 October 2010

Up in the Mountains

Monday was our annual trip to the Shenandoah "Mountains" (sorry - I am from Colorado, I have to use quotes when talking about mountains in Virginia) to miss the peak of the Fall leaves with Nana. True to form, we missed the peak. However, this time we probably came too early rather than too late. Oh well, we had a good time regardless. And the balmy summer-like weather meant that we didn't have to cart coats and hats up with us.

Josh has become quite the rock climber and scampered all over them while I was making sure Ben didn't fall off the edge. I don't think that I would have allowed him to do some of the climbing initially if I had been aware of what he was doing. However, since did do it, I figured he could probably do it again without killing himself. So he climbed and climbed and climbed and loved it.

Michael also scampered around the rocks, although he wasn't quite as reckless. With all the scenic vistas to see and rocks to climb, I think the highlight for him was probably the chocolate ice cream he ate at lunch. He drank the remnants out of the bowl afterwards and wore not just a little bit of it on his shirt. After that, it didn't matter what we did because the best was behind us.

Ben, as usual, was just along for the ride (see bottom picture) and spent his time trying to catch up with his brothers. Of course, by the time he gets anywhere, everyone has changed directions or activities so he never quite gets there. That will probably come with time.

So, we had a great time. And Nana and I were exhausted. Although fun, these sort of excursions are never restful or relaxing with the three savages in tow.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I love that you call them "mountains" as well!